All About Travel And Business News

What is the difference between a moped and a scooter?

Oct 9

You can legally ride a 50cc motorbike on roads with Learner plates at 16 and complete Compulsory Basis Training (CBT). You can ride a 125cc motorbike at 17, but you cannot take a passenger. 

However, this certificate can only be valid for two years. You can still do your CBT, but it's not a good idea. It will make you look like a 16-year-old as long as those L plates are on.

Many people will opt to obtain a full motorcycle license. You must first decide whether the license is an AM Moped License or A1 Motorcycle License. You might also wonder what the differences are between a scooter and a moped.

What is a Moped?

Mopeds used to be equipped with pedals, and their name is an amalgamation of motor and pedal. They don't have pedals and are defined by engine size, speed, and output. They will typically have an engine of 50cc or smaller and a top speed of around 28 mph. They are Twist & Go models, which look smaller than scooters despite having larger wheels.

Mopeds are usually cheaper than scooters.

What is a Scooter?

Although a scooter is similar to a moped, it has a step-through frame. However, it is the engine that makes it stand out.

There is no set engine size for scooters. You can choose from high or low-powered powertrains. However, they can start at 50cc and go up to 750cc for larger scooters such as the Honda Forza. For those looking for eco-friendly solutions, there are a growing number of cheap electric scooters for adults on the market.

A scooter is a vehicle that allows you to ride on a platform. Legally, it is a moped if it weighs less than 50cc. Mopeds tend to be more expensive than scooters. This is due to their larger engines and power. Mopeds have larger wheels than scooters but can be equipped with automatic and manual transmissions.

What are the requirements for riding a scooter or moped?

To legally ride a scooter or moped on the open roads as a learner, you must have two documents. These documents are a provisional motorcycle license and a Compulsory Basis Training (CBT) certificate.

These will allow you to ride a scooter, moped, or motorcycle of up to 125cc and not exceed 11kw. You can ride a 50cc motorcycle at 16; at 17, you can ride a 125cc bike. L-plates must be displayed at all times. They are not allowed on the motorway, nor can they carry passengers. The CBT is valid for 2 years. After that, it expires. You must decide whether you want to renew it or get an A1 or AM moped license.

The AM moped license

You can ride a moped up to 50cc in engine capacity and 28 mph at top speed without needing L plates. Additionally, you can carry passengers.

A1 motorcycle license

You can ride a motorcycle up to 125cc or less than 11kw with an A1 license. 

Additionally, you can transport passengers.

Valid insurance will be required to protect you and your scooter in case of an accident.

What is the difference between scooter and moped insurance?

Mopeds are typically less expensive to insure than scooters. They have smaller engines, less power, and a slower top speed. They are considered to be lower risk, even for inexperienced riders.

Scooters and mopeds are more affordable than full-sized motorcycles when it comes time to pay for insurance. It is wise to visit a specialist like SPEEDSPRO to get the best deal on your scooter or moped insurance. They will evaluate your needs and help you choose from various insurance providers to provide suitable coverage.